Survey for Followers of Jesus:
#1: You see someone wearing inappropriate church attire you should:
- Tell them what’s appropriate should they ever consider attending your church again
- Whisper your disapproval to everyone around you
- Provide the person a choir robe to cover their offensive clothing
- Say a prayer of praise the person came to church
#2: You’ve been asked to volunteer for another ministry opportunity you should:
- Say, “I’ll pray about it” even though you have no intention of volunteering
- Say, “No” if you don’t want to do it or can’t say, “Yes.”
#3: You’ve baked a German Chocolate cake for tonight’s potluck and put it in the church’s refrigerator. When you go to retrieve the cake you discover half of it has been eaten, you should:
- Contaminate the remaining half. Then leave it in the fridge in order to make the thief sick, and finally
- Set up a hidden camera so you can catch the culprit(s).
- Thank God someone liked your cake.
#4: You overhear a loud and disagreeable conversation between a church member and the pastor you should:
- Try not to interfere
- Interrupt and give your opinion
- Gossip about what you overheard.
#5: You notice a typo in the church bulletin you should:
- Draft a formal complaint to the church board
- Realize people make mistakes
- Smile and feel superior.
#6: The collection plate is coming your way you should:
- Take a blank and empty offering envelop and pretend to put something in it.
- Casually toss in a one dollar tip
- Give God the best gift you are able
(#1: d; #2: b; #3: c; #4: a; #5: b; #6: c)
0-2 Maybe you should answer these questions again.
3-4 Good job you’re making progress.
5-6 Congrats! You’re a model follower.
People tell me very often that the Christian faith isn’t relevant to their day-to-day living
I disagree because there are circumstances (situations/ conditions) that happen every day to each one of us that gives us a chance to know for ourselves that Jesus, living in us and through us, has relevance … it may be when someone slights you by making (what you perceive as) a derogatory comment.
What do you do? How do you react? Will you get angry and try to get even or will you smile and walk away?
Of course how you act (re-act, behave) says a lot about your level of understanding about Jesus’ teaching on being a follower (disciple) … how could anything be more relevant than this?
I believe God’s intention is to bring us into maturity This happens as the Holy Spirit leads us to respond like Jesus and act less like an unenlightened human being … that means we grow up.
In every circumstance (situation) you come face-to-face with today you and I have a choice that is relevant to our faith in Christ The situations we encounter can move us closer to the Lord or show that we haven’t really gotten it yet.
The five questions above are only samples … my intention is to help us think clearly about our behavior and the message it sends to those in our world This is relevant Christian living and it can be fun as we cooperate with God’s Spirit because we will be leaving a worthwhile impression of Jesus’ love and mercy. This helps you … This helps others … what’s more relevant than that?
Thanks for your company on Lee’s Nite Radio.