IT BEGAN AS A PASSING THOUGHT
- Today I’m gonna act differently?
- Today I’m gonna practice being nice.
- Today I’m gonna look someone in the eye, smile and say, “Make it a good day!”
Have you ever entertained a thought like this? Actually contemplated not being so full of yourself? (It’s scary isn’t it?)
I’d been listening to some teaching on the “Beatitudes.” (They’re listed in Matthew 5 of your Bible).
I got the sense that Jesus spoke about different types of people in these verses.
But I had another reflection,
What if Jesus felt these characteristics ought to be present in all His followers?
THE THOUGHT STUCK WITH ME
I’m not talking about just the possibilities; I’m saying something regarding Jesus’ expectation of me.
Here, read the words:
3 “God blesses those who realize their need for him
4 God blesses those who mourn
5 God blesses those who are gentle and lowly
6 God blesses those who are hungry and thirsty for justice
7 God blesses those who are merciful
8 God blesses those whose hearts are pure
9 God blesses those who work for peace
10 God blesses those who are persecuted because they live for God
11 God blesses you when you are mocked and persecuted and lied about because you are my followers.
I DECIDED TO ACT ON THE THOUGHT
What if all of these behaviors flowed in and through me?
- I know beyond any doubt my need for God.
- I have mourned.
- I need to get better at being gentle and lowly.
- I am hungry and thirsty for justice.
- I really desire to practice mercy.
- I hope there’s a chance my heart might become pure.
- I work for peace.
- I don’t know much about being persecuted for God.
How improved is my day if I behave as if these characteristics are me?
Well I’m not naive; I can see that everything changes.
WHAT ABOUT YOU?
Okay, so today,
- Maybe, I’ll risk doing one act of kindness.
- Maybe tomorrow I’ll be merciful.
- Maybe next week I’ll work for peace.
- Maybe this month I’ll work up to being gentle and lowly.
Can I do it?
Well, at least I can make the attempt?