What defines fun for you?
The Free Dictionary defines fun this way:
- Enjoyment; amusement: We had fun at the beach.
- A source of enjoyment, amusement, or pleasure: Was the party fun?
Here are some synonyms for fun:
Dr. Wilson and friends describe what fun is and isn’t:
- Fun is not taking life too seriously.
- Fun is enjoying yourself wherever you are.
- Fun is taking care of yourself
- Fun is showing respect and taking care of people, animals, and plants.
- Fun is accepting that the world is messed up.
- Fun isn’t just sex, it’s more about togetherness.
- Fun is being creative.
- Fun isn’t about conforming or rebelling.
- Fun is knowing life is soul evolution.
- Fun isn’t acting stupid.
Lifehack listed 8 Principles of Having Fun.
Reader’s Digest wrote a list of bad habits and how to stop them.
Noah Webster viewed fun differently in his 1828 dictionary and defined fun this way: Fun= n. Sport; vulgar merriment. A low word.
Of course fun for one person isn’t necessary fun for another person. I have fun going to my local college basketball games. But someone else may find that boring.
Considering prospects of what’s fun caused me to think about how God might define fun.
I focused on Jesus.
What did I notice about Jesus that appeared fun for him?
- He attended a wedding feast … he even helped the celebration revive by changing water into wine. And not just a bit of water into wine, but 120 gallons of wine.
- Wasn’t it fun for Jesus to give that man at the Pool of Bethesda a new lease on life?
- Wasn’t it fun taking 3 loaves and 2 fish and feeding 5000+?
- Was it fun sneaking out and spending all night in prayer with His Father?
It wasn’t fun (in my mind) for Jesus to die on the cross, but it was necessary for my salvation. In salvation I’m offered life instead of death. That’s fun isn’t it?
How does God define fun?
- Does God know anything about what’s fun?
- Is God a party-pooper?
- An old fuddy-duddy?
- A grouch?
- A stick-in-the-mud?
- A spoil-sport?
What does God know about fun?
And what sort of fun would God advance me toward?
- Church (every time the doors are open)?
- Daily devotions?
- Prayer (for me and others)?
- Bible reading, meditation, and study?
Maybe these, but what else is possible?
- Fidelity to your wife or husband?
- A sober mind and body?
- gentleness, and
Could these nine characteristics be God’s list of fun?
I guess I won’t know unless I try them out.
So, is it time for me to change my definition of fun?
Free devotions: MLS
Hillsong United Lead Me to the Cross
TobyMac Lose My Soul
Hillsong With All I Am